mamaof2dadous: (Default)
[personal profile] mamaof2dadous
Lauren Ashleigh

June 7, 2009
8lbs, 14oz
21-1/4" long
Agpars 9/9

Saturday, June 6, 2009. I spent most of the day running errands with Jarrett and Adrienne. I weeded the garden. We rented a car since ours literally died coming up our street on Friday evening. I told Jarrett not to stress since I had only a couple contractions...and I thought the baby was still at least another week or so away from coming. I planted tomatoes, made dinner, got Adrienne to bed then went for a long swim. I took a long shower, had some soup and bread, and was in bed by 10:30 or so.

I woke up at 2:00am in a lot of pain. Thought it was something I ate (LOL). After spending 5 minutes in the washroom and realizing these were contractions, Jarrett tried to time them with me. I realized they were VERY close together, almost on top of eachother. Called my midwife, Nikki, at 2:15am. I told her what was going on and she said that she was at the hospital on call and to get there ASAP. She also told me if my water broke or if there was any change to call her back and she would come to my house because there wouldn't be enough time to get to the hospital. Jarrett called his Mom and told her to get to our house FAST to watch Adrienne.

I paced the house waiting, literally holding myself...I don't know why, I just did. Realized that now I had discharge and bloody show. I knew my MIL would be at our house any minute so I didn't call Nikki. I did tell Jarrett to make his Mom get there quickly.

The only thing that got me through the contractions was walking. I tried the yoga ball but it wasn't happening. Jarrett was getting the car ready and tried to help me get dressed. Thankfully I had packed a bag a couple weeks earlier.

Then Adrienne woke up, crying for Mommy. I soothed her for all of ten seconds before I had to use the bathroom...Jarrett took over. My MIL arrived at 2:45am. The drive to the hospital was quick...we live all of 4 minutes from it. I think Jarrett ran a few red lights though.

Got to Emergency. They directed us to the Labour & Delivery floor, where Nikki would be. Jarrett asked if I wanted a wheelchair but sitting was horribly painful. We got to the 4th floor and I didn't see Nikki...I'm sure she could hear me though. Jarrett took care of telling them who I was and someone took me to a triage room. Jarrett later told me that he heard me screaming the whole time. I got in there and Nikki and Shirley (her student) appeared and took me to a room.

Nikki asked me if I wanted a gown but I said no. I just took my pants off and stayed in my t-shirt. I had to stand through a contraction and another midwife massaged my back through it. The time was now 3:00am. I managed to get on the bed so Nikki could check me and Shirley listened to the baby. Nikki informed me that my water had indeed broke...but to this day I don't recall that happening...unless it was when I went to the washroom. Then Nikki exclaimed "there's no cervix...if you want to push you can". And push I did! Three pushes and out came my baby girl! She was immediately placed on my chest, skin to skin and she was cleaned up a bit. Funny enough, I didn't even shed a tear, which I still find odd. Once the cord stopped pulsating, it was cut.

I got baby Lauren to latch on very easily while Nikki delievered the placenta...but the pitocin she gave me to help deliver it made me suddenly feel lightheaded, made my ears ring, made me shiver and my lips went numb. My blood pressure went up and I just felt weird. Shirley took the baby to do a check up because I felt too woozy to hold her. After a few minutes though I started feeling better and all was good.

Nikki said I had a second degree internal tear which she stitched up (after freezing me down there). It wouldn't stop bleeding though and she explained that there was a pocket that she couldn't get stitched she was going to take out the stitches and try again. At this point, Jarrett needed some air (he isn't good with blood). It still didn't work. She had to get the OB on call to come and help. The OB was nice enough, but because of the amount of time that had elasped the freezing had worn off and she informed me that she only had two or three stitches left and that freezing it would hurt the same. So yeah, the last three (felt like 6) stitches were done without freezing...Nikki's lucky I didn't break her hand.

As I relaxed a bit under some toasty warm blankets, and had some gingerale, Nikki got me to sign the paperwork giving her permission to catch my baby. LOL. They also took some blood and laughed that not having time to do bloodwork upon arrival was a sure sign of a fast labour! I then had a wonderful, hot shower. Got into my clothes (silly me forgot a clean shirt, oh well), and into a wheelchair. Baby had been dressed by Jarrett and Shirley and was ready in her carseat. Got hugs from the midwives, then wheeled down to the parking lot, loaded into the car and off we went. I looked at the clock...5:41am. I think my head was still spinning!

Got home at 5:45am. My MIL came out of Adrienne's room in complete shock that we were home. She made me some toast with peanut butter and honey and a cup of tea, the I went to bed with Lauren and Jarrett.

Woke up at 9am to Jarrett carrying Adrienne into our room to meet Lauren. She was super excited. She kissed the baby but was sort of wary of me...I guess she hadn't forgotten the noises I was making earlier that morning. :|

I am extremely happy with how things went. I wanted a quick and natural delivery...although I never expected it to be 68 minutes long...especially after my first labour was 18 hours! I feel so lucky to have been able to have Lauren in this way. :)


Lauren Ashleigh

Adrienne meeting her sister for the first time.

Holding her baby sister.

My little angel.

Proud big sister.

Adrienne holding her 5 hour old sister.

Shirley, Nikki's student midwife (she is amazing), weighing Lauren at 4 days old.

Lauren chilling on the couch.

Sleepy Lauren.

Sporting her cloth diapers.

My Dad, Ester and Lauren.

My Mom and her girls.

Lauren and Mommy snuggling.

Scary eyes. That's from her coming out so freaking fast!

I'm ready for my close up!

My sweet baby girl.

Date: 2009-06-22 08:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Oh man, you really didn't waste any time! Awesome birth story, it's the kind that you hear about happening but don't really believe. Good thing the hospital is so close!

Date: 2009-06-22 08:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
It was surreal. Jarrett and I sat in the car for a minute once we were ready to go home sort of stunned. I don't think our heads were done spinning for a day or two! All in all much better than my first labour and delivery. :)


mamaof2dadous: (Default)

October 2012

789 10111213

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 11:13 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios